Spasmodic Dysphonia UK Support Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Social bookmarking

Social bookmarking reddit      

Bookmark and share the address of Spasmodic Dysphonia UK on your social bookmarking website

Bookmark and share the address of Spasmodic Dysphonia UK Support Forum on your social bookmarking website

Closed mouth yawn

2 posters

Go down

Closed mouth yawn Empty Closed mouth yawn

Post by Nintey Sat 21 Feb 2009, 5:57 am

I have found that doing a discreet closed mouth yawn before you start to speak really helps lower your larynx and open my throat, then try and keep your larynx in that low position as you are talking. It seems to help me get my words about better as my throat doesn't seem so tense and tight, and I don't feel as if I am being strangled by my own throat!

For example you could try this exercise:

Keep the feeling that you are just starting to yawn and say the work "dumb". Place your fingers on your larynx and feel it descend as you do this. Sing a scale (dumb..dumb..dumb..dumb..etc.). As you ascend, keep your fingers on your larynx to make sure it doesn't pull up. You should begin to feel the shift from chest voice into head, and back again. Don't worry if your voice breaks or cracks at first. With practice, this will smooth out and disappear. You will always feel the shift in resonance, but ultimately the listener will never hear it.
Nintey
Nintey
Admin

http://spasmodic-dysphonia.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Closed mouth yawn Empty Yawning as a technique

Post by Rob Launders Thu 27 Jan 2011, 7:51 am

Yes, thanks for your note on 'closed mouth yawn'

I too find that the combination of an artificial yawn (to keep the vocal cords and larynx wide) and lowering the larynx (to keep the pitch low) helps to produce reasonable sounding voice.

But it is not natural, it takes effort, it doesn't project, etc.

Hey Ho!

Rob Launders

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum