Spasmodic Dysphonia UK Support Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Social bookmarking

Social bookmarking reddit      

Bookmark and share the address of Spasmodic Dysphonia UK on your social bookmarking website

Bookmark and share the address of Spasmodic Dysphonia UK Support Forum on your social bookmarking website

Hello - I'm a newbie and hoping for support!

2 posters

Go down

Hello - I'm a newbie and hoping for support! Empty Hello - I'm a newbie and hoping for support!

Post by OzDzynes Sat 05 May 2012, 3:17 am

Hi,

I've just joined this forum, first one in my life actually! I am joining the many of you with the frustrated and tired feeling of the sound of my voice. I hate talking to anyone on the phone, if anyone asks me to call or wants to have a catch up chat, I make my excuses so the call never happens, I think I have actually lost friends because of this.

My voice started to go funny in 2008, I can't remember now if it was worse than it is now but I know it is affecting me mentally and socially. I used to teach snowboarding so I instantly linked it with me having to bellow out on the mountain during my lessons.
2009, I went to see my doctor and he asked a few questions about me and my life, said maybe I have damaged my vocal chords and advised me not to talk and if i have to, I had to whisper, for 2 whole weeks, IMPOSSIBLE, my job now involves talking, teacher assistant, and during those 2 weeks, whilst living at home, my mother was away and my father is deaf!! You do the math!

I haven't been back to the doctor since, but somedays now really get me down, I used to be able to sing quite well any song, but now i whistle my songs, some kids at school have even mimicked my voice and laughed, which I can deal with when I'm there because I have wise comebacks that shuts them up instantly, but it does stay in my head for a few days after. Very self conscious over it.

Anyone relate out there?

=( Ozzi

OzDzynes

Back to top Go down

Hello - I'm a newbie and hoping for support! Empty Re: Hello - I'm a newbie and hoping for support!

Post by drmilindkumar Tue 19 Jun 2012, 8:22 am

Dear Ozzi,
I'm a doctor from India, myself suffering from Adductor dysphonia and can understand what you are going through.
I have just seen this forum and joined today only. My job as you can imagine involoves speaking to patients and involving in disucussion with colleagues and do presentations (my nightmares).
I got myself diagnosed 1yr ago and got a botox injection which left me with whispering voice for around 1 month and then my voice was near normal (I made many presentations then). Then the effect wore off and now even speaking to my family and kids can become tiring.
I read Marton Cooper's book (got from amazon US to India) and it really has helped me. I'm not going for botox for as long as I can avoid.
I'm a very lean built and I've started doing proper exercises and bought a home gym as well. It is helping though I avoid public speaking to maximum.
Also avoid shouting and try to speak in nasal tone sometimes it will help....Do see Dr Cooper's website voice doctor
Be in touch
Milind

drmilindkumar

Back to top Go down