Spasmodic Dysphonia UK Support Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Social bookmarking

Social bookmarking reddit      

Bookmark and share the address of Spasmodic Dysphonia UK on your social bookmarking website

Bookmark and share the address of Spasmodic Dysphonia UK Support Forum on your social bookmarking website

Free to Speak: Overcoming Spasmodic Dysphonia by Connie Pike

2 posters

Go down

Free to Speak: Overcoming Spasmodic Dysphonia by Connie Pike Empty Free to Speak: Overcoming Spasmodic Dysphonia by Connie Pike

Post by Nintey Fri 20 Feb 2009, 4:57 pm

I have just purchased this book from Amazon and so far have found it really informative and helpful. The author is a certified speech and language pathologist who herself had SD but was able, with a natural approach to treatment, to largely overcome the condition. The book does not pretend that there is an easy fix, but gives those patients diagnosed with SD, HOPE of significant improvement without the need for drugs, botox or surgery.

I will be starting the exercise regime listed in the book this week, so will keep you posted of progress and any exercises that really help. Has anyone else read this book and found the exercises useful?
Nintey
Nintey
Admin

http://spasmodic-dysphonia.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Free to Speak: Overcoming Spasmodic Dysphonia by Connie Pike Empty Re: Free to Speak: Overcoming Spasmodic Dysphonia by Connie Pike

Post by lost42 Fri 17 Apr 2009, 7:14 pm

Hello, I just found this site. I had never heard of that book before. How are the exercises going? Are you finding them helpful?

lost42

Back to top Go down

Free to Speak: Overcoming Spasmodic Dysphonia by Connie Pike Empty Re: Free to Speak: Overcoming Spasmodic Dysphonia by Connie Pike

Post by Nintey Tue 21 Apr 2009, 5:13 am

To be honest I have not been practicing as much I should be due to lack of time Rolling Eyes When I first got the book I did practice everyday for a few weeks, and I found the exercises did help to get my voice out more effortlessly.

It's a great read, and because the lady who wrote it was a speech therapist who developed spasmodic dysphonia, she knew how to tailor her exercises to make sure they were beneficial for people with SD.

Have you read any other books? and do you do a voice exercise routine?
Nintey
Nintey
Admin

http://spasmodic-dysphonia.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by lost42 Tue 21 Apr 2009, 9:56 am

Being pretty new to this (knowing what is "wrong" with me), I have not yet started a voice exercise routine (though I plan to), and the only reading I've done so far has been on the internet. What I have done so far is work on becoming a stomach breather. I'm doing better, but if I have to take a quick, deep breath, it still comes from my chest.

I will keep you posted.

lost42

Back to top Go down

Post by lost42 Sun 31 May 2009, 7:35 pm

I got and read the book, and now I too am trying to find time for the exercises. I know she recommends taking a leave of absence from work and talking as little as possible. I'm not sure how feasible that is for most people, though. Somewhere I've got to find the time if I ever want to get better...

lost42

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down